Thursday, October 11, 2012

We just had our first Chilean earthquake!

Today at 2:22pm local time we had our first Chilean earthquake!  It was magnitude 5.7 and the epicenter was off the coast of Valparaíso, so all in all it was pretty minimal for us here.  I think it's the biggest earthquake I've been in so far, but not by that much.  Pretty much as soon as I realized what was going on, it was over.  But it was very exciting!

Nothing fell over or broke that I noticed, but we did evacuate the museum building.  Or, if we wanted to we did.  Some people didn't go outside, but all the school groups had to.  And just for the heck of it I went outside because I was curious where one of the exits went, and it turns out it went to a nice green area where I would want to eat lunch if everyone I eat with brought their lunch like I do.  But instead we go over to the cafeteria building, which is just fine too because it has outdoor tables with umbrellas.

This weekend we're going to Mendoza, Argentina!

No comments:

Post a Comment