Thursday, November 1, 2012

Feria de Astronomia

I went to the Astronomy Fair at a high school a couple weeks ago, and here are some pictures.  It was pretty boring for me because the whole thing was in Spanish, and despite all my practice the last two months, it was well beyond my capacity to understand an entire day of talks in Spanish, especially Chilean Spanish, which is extremely fast and mangled.  The event was supposed to start at 10am, but this is what it looked like at 10am:


Nothing actually happened until 11:30, so I had plenty of time to look around and also read (thank goodness I brought the kindle!).  There were some cool posters displayed with different astronomy stuff:


Then finally there were some talks.  The first one was about observatories and telescopes around the world, with a focus on those in Chile.  Chile, especially the north, is a great place for telescopes because it's a desert with really clear skies.  Here's the first speaker:


There were also some presentations by students, which were pretty adorable.  It made me remember that I really have learned a lot about presenting since when I was their age (or even older).  They were so shifty and nervous, it was pretty cute.  But still, they were up there presenting in front of a bunch of strangers, so I have to give them a lot of credit!


Also, there was a table about robotics that at one point had a bunch of kids around it and some teachers, but not when I took this picture:


And then I went home and took a much-needed nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment